Saturday 22 April 2017

Bread Bible - Levy's Real Jewish Rye Bread

My memory of baking this bread is hazy in the extreme, but judging by the number of photos I have of the finished product, I was pretty happy with it. I do remember Rose saying that this type of rye bread was a favourite when she was young. I was surprised by that because it's very strongly tasting of caraway, which is not a taste that children of my acquaintance are fond of (and one I wasn't keen on when young). Luckily I'm keen on it now and I made short work of eating my loaf. It's not at all heavy with rye, with just enough to leave you with a smug aura of healthiness (as you slather on the butter).

I'm pretty proud of my slashes and the oven spring I got with this loaf. If only I knew how I did it...


Still to come in my catch-up posts - Olive Bread.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your gorgeous loaf! I am also playing catchup. Would love to know if you made the fougasse how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheryl. I've just made the Flaxseed bread today. I think the Fougasse is next - I'm looking forward to it.

      Delete